The Lalit Kala Akademi (National Academy of Art) is an autonomous body set up by the Govt. of India under the administrative control of the Ministry of Culture, for the promotion of Visual Arts in the country.
The Regional Centre of the Lalit Kala Akademi, Chennai, was established in 1978, for the above said purpose in the region, and it was inaugurated by Shri Dr. M.G. Ramachandran, the then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu on 14th October, 1978; and covers our art activities in the States of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Pondicherry. Later, Maharastra, Goa and Lakshadeep were also included in its charter of responsibilities. The first regional Secretary was Shri M. Rajaram.
The existing land of one acre was allotted by the State Government, in 1977 to the Lalit Kala Akademi for establishing its Regional Centre at Chennai, on an ownership basis.
- The first phase construction (present office area and the ground floor Gallery) was completed in 1978, by the State PWD with the contribution of 50% share from the State Government.
- Later in 1984, the second phase construction was completed with the construction of the first floor Gallery, along with the Workshops, and Studio facilities for the artists to use the space and facilities for their creation.
The Centre has the following facilities for artists:
- Graphic Workshop : 8 artists to work at a time
- Ceramic Workshop : 8 artists to work at a time
- Sculpture Workshop : 8 artists to work at a time
- Painting Studio : 10 - 12 artists to work at a time
- Reference Library : for working artists and scholars (between 11am to 3Pm)
- Art Galleries: Ground floor of Size Approx. 530 running ft. wall space / and first floor Group show gallery of Size 290 running ft. wall space
- Publication sales
Every year, the Centre organizes several activities for the promotion of art around the region by organizing art events like Lectures on Art, Art Film Shows, Artists-in-Residency programmes, Camps, Interactive Workshops, Demonstrations, Exhibitions and Seminars etc. Many of these programmes of the Centre are organized in collaboration with different art institutions and organizations.
- Airport : 14 kms from the Regional Centre
- Railway Station : 4 Km. from Chennai Central Railway Station / 3 Km. from Egmore Station
- Main Bus Stand : 10 Km. from Koyampedu bus stand
- Timings : 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Holidays : Saturday and Sunday and all Government Holidays
- Entrance Fees : Nil
- Photographic Charges : No charges / to outsiders, permission will be given for the art related programme only with a written request to the Regional Secretary.
- Videographic Charges : No charges/ to outsiders, permission will be given for the art related programme only with a written request to the Regional Secretary.
- Future Film Shooting: No permission
- Controlling Authority: Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi, which works under the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India. New Delhi
- Details of the Officials:
- Head : Regional Secretary- Shri Rm. Palaniappan
- Office Superintendent : ----------------------
- Graphic Workshop Supervisor: Shri Rajan Fulari
- Ceramic Workshop Supervisor : -----------------------------------
- Sculpture Workshop Supervisor : ---------------------------------------
Permanent Collection :
- Collection : Includes stone, metal, wood and bronze sculptures, Paintings, Graphics and Ceramics; also mixed media works.
- Galleries: Exhibition Gallery, Workshop and Studio facilities for Graphics, Sculpture, Ceramic and Painting. Application forms are available (Click): Gallery Application / Gallery Map / Workshop, Studio Application
- Guest House: A dormitory Guest house is available on payment of Rs. 250/- + tax against the application request in advance / will be allotted on availability.
- Sale of Publication : All Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi Publications.
- Library : Around 2000 books,Art Journals, and Reference Books for reading purposes. Official Timings (9:30am - 6:00pm)
- Educational Activities : Workshops (Graphics, Ceramic, Sculpture, and Painting); studio facilities for artists, Interactive Lectures, Demonstrations, Artist-in-Residency, and other Programmes from time to time.